Egebaksande and Rosvang farms
In the northern part of Thy National Park you will pass the two large lakes Nors Lake (23) and Vandet Lake (22). South of these lakes was once another lake: Sjørring Lake. The 850-hectare and 8-kilometre-long lake stretched between the villages of Tvorup, Jannerup, Hundborg and Sjørring. Today, the lake has been transformed into green fields, but the Egebaksande farm on the outskirts of Tvorup dune plantation is a clear relic from the enormous excavation work that led to the drainage.
Originally, Captain Christian Jagd entered the project as a contractor and he had no interest in farming. However, the land proved to be difficult to sell, so he had to farm the land himself. As this was new land, there were no farms, but he found a remedy for this too. In 1862, Captain Jagd built the Egebaksande farm and moved into the house. From here he farmed the 850-hectares of agricultural land. In the following years, the large Rosvang farm was also built and included in the main farm. The milk from the cattle which grazed on the fertile grazing land on the dry lake bed was processed at Rosvang's dairy.
This large complex of land, buildings and canal systems was primarily established for borrowed capital, and when Captain Jagd could no longer finance the project, the property was divided between Captain Jagd and his creditors in 1865, after which Captain Jagd left the area.
Rosvang and Egebaksande have since been among the largest farms in Thy. However, modern agriculture has led to the land being taken over, and today Egebaksande is uninhabited. The farm has a characteristic and grandiose expression that bears witness to the ambition and the industry that marked the period around 1860.