Old and new decoration
When the church was built, the village of Skovsted and the main farm Rotbøl were located in the parish, but in 1555, the vicar could report that Lodbjerg parish was »tainted« by sand. Eventually the farms had to be moved. The church and the cemetery were maintained, but at times it was necessary to shovel away sand from the cemetery. Despite its lonely location, the church is still the parish church.
The white-washed church is from around 1500 and built in brick. Although the church is younger, it does not differ much from most of the other church buildings in the area which were built in Romanesque style of characteristic granite ashlar around 1200. The font is older than the church and this could be a sign that there was an older church in the parish, however there are no traces of such a church. Inside the church there are late Gothic chalk frescos on the chancel arch wall. To the north is a picture of the Virgin Mary holding the Infant Jesus surrounded by sunbeams. On the wall by the pulpit, a snake with a cross has been painted. This motif comes from the Book of Numbers, but is also a symbol of Christ. The altarpiece and the pulpit are from around 1600, but in 2008 the church was redecorated by the artist Maja Lisa Engelhardt, who coloured the other furniture and equipment on the basis of the ochre red and golden play of colours in the chalk frescos. The result was beautiful. The nave »Christian« is from the 1880s and can be linked to the people at Lodbjerg Fyr lighthouse. The nave was made by one of the assistant lightkeepers, and he donated it to the church when the son of one of his colleagues died in 1885, only 18 months old.
From the cemetery you can see the large Vestervig church which was built as an abbey church in the 1100s.