The lifeboat house
In the middle of the village is the old lifeboat house, which has been converted into a primitive place to spend the night. The lifeboat station was built in 1882. Initially, the station only had a rocket device which could be used in salvage operations from the beach, but from 1920-1946 the fishing village had a lifeboat. The station was closed in 1975. The old rescue road, running both north and south of Lyngby, was established for rescue workers, so they could help the shipwrecked. Today the road is part of the Vestkyststien hiking route. If you want to spend the night in the lifeboat house, please contact Niels Peter Jakobsen, who lives in the house just across the lifeboat house.
Settlers in the dunes
Lyngby arose in 1864 when six families from the Agger area decided to move. They migrated to the north where they settled on a heather plain in Hvidbjerg Klit. Here was land to cultivate and they were sheltered from the sea dunes, but still close enough to the sea to be able to fish. It is told that on arrival one of the wives exclaimed: »We have walked straight into Heaven«.
More families moved to the area in the following years. The primary employment was fishing. The landing conditions at Lyngby were not good, so in the early 1930s breakwaters were built to break the waves and the strong current. However, it was still difficult to fish off the coast of Lyngby, and eventually the fishermen moved their activities to the harbour of Thyborøn.
Tourists were already flocking to Lyngby in the period between the First World War and the Second World War. People were not drawn to the village due its modern conveniences, since electricity was not installed until 1965. Many people moved away in the 1970s. Today the village only has very few permanent residents, and the old houses are very popular as holiday homes for those who want to enjoy the tranquillity and the beautiful countryside. Qualities that the area around Lyngby can still offer.