Evacuating the locals
When there were most, about 4000 Germans soldiers lived in Hanstholm. They manned the guns and guarded the area. In 1942, the original residents of Hansted, who at the beginning of the war totalled about 800 people, were evacuated from the area. Some were re-housed in prefabs in Ræhr, others went to Hirtshals, and only some of them returned to Hanstholm in 1946. Before the Hanstholm area could be inhabited again, many landmines had to be removed and the houses which had accommodated the Germans had to be renovated.
After the war, the plantation surrounding the town was laid out to hide the concrete installations from the war and to provide shelter from the wind.
The museum is open every day from 1 February to 31 October. In the period 1 June to 31 August from 10am-5pm. In the period 1 February to 31 May and 1 September to 31 October as well as 25 December to 30 December from 10am-4pm. The munition train runs every day during the Easter holidays, from 1 May to 31 August and in the autumn holiday.