Tvorup church was built in the late 1100s as a typical Romanesque village church, built from carved granite ashlar stone and with an apse, choir and nave. Imagine that the buildings of the parish at that time consisted of farms and villages surrounded by fields. Around 1500, the sand drift began to affect the area, and it became increasingly difficult to cultivate the soil and to maintain an economic foundation for the parish. In the mid-1700s, sources report that the parish was almost depopulated and you could cross the sanded-up church dyke. The port was closed by the sand. In 1794, it was decided to make the parish part of Vang Sogn parish. The church was demolished, and permission was granted to recycle the building materials in Vang church, which, among other things, got a new porch. The chandelier from Tvorup still hangs in Vang church.
The ruins of Tvorup church are now a peaceful place very much worth visiting. Granite stone and remnants of the wall show the contours of the church, and the grass-covered former cemetery is surrounded by remnants of the old church dyke. The forest surrounding the ruins was laid out to stop the sand drift, and is thereby the latest chapter in the history of the ever-changing landscape.