This page has been translated using AI technology. While we strive for accuracy, please be aware that automated translations may not capture all nuances and subtleties of the original text.
The battery consists of nineteen larger bunkers and they constituted the first permanent installation built by the Germans at Hanstholm. Already on the night of April 9, 1940, the day of the German occupation of Denmark, the Germans had laid mines in the Skagerrak to block the passage of Allied ships to the Kattegat and the Baltic Sea. Inward, there was a 10 nautical mile wide opening through which German ships could navigate. This opening was guarded from the land, from the First Battery, which was armed with four 17 cm naval guns, anti-aircraft guns, machine guns, and searchlights. Initially, the cannons were placed in the open, on cast foundations, and it wasn't until 1944 that they could be moved to the bombproof bunkers that are preserved to this day. The battery had a crew of 148 men.
The Atlantic Wall
When the Germans began to seriously fear an invasion from early 1942, they initiated the construction of the 5500 km-long fortress system known as the Atlantic Wall, designed to defend against the Allied landing from the west. The Hanstholm fortress, strategically located in relation to the North Sea and Skagerrak, became an integral part of this and constituted the largest defense complex in Northern Europe from World War II.
If you want to see more, visit the Bunker Museum in Hanstholm: Bunker Museum
Findyour way to Batteri Hanstholm 1